The Bathford Society

Picture: Bathford Village Lock-Up (D. Howells 2006)

Bathford Village Lock-Up

Like many villages, Bathford has a lock-up. This stands in tolerably good condition between Nos. 22 and 24 Bathford Hill. It was built in 1837 to replace one built in 1820.

It is 15 feet square with a gable roof rising to 12 feet with pantiles, and has two cells one of which served as the village mortuary until 1924.

It has its original iron studded doors with fittings and grilles and is a scheduled building.

Source: Bathford Past and Present
© Bathford Society 2007 | Sources | Copyright | Privacy Policy | Site Layout | Technical | Contact Us