The Bathford Society

Picture: Rock House

Rock House

This is one of the early eighteenth century houses in the village and it enjoys a commanding position on Bathford Hill. It is a small house, built about 1704, and decorated in the baroque manner. As described by Pevsner, it has a 'doorway with finely decorated frame and open scrolly pediment. Above, a Venetian window with a shell in the arch. The other windows with decorated keystones. Parapet partly balustraded.'

The house was in the ownership of the Tyndale family until purchased by John Axford of Bathford in 1771. It remained with the Axford family until bought by George Yeeles of Titan Barrow in 1845 and continued as part of the Titan Barrow estate until sold separately in 1921.

Source: Bathford Past and Present
© Bathford Society 2007 | Sources | Copyright | Privacy Policy | Site Layout | Technical | Contact Us