The Bathford Society

Picture: The New Inn

The New Inn

The Inn is probably the oldest inn in Bathford and had the most commanding site at the top of Bathford Hill on the old road and the later turnpike road to London. The earliest mention of this inn is as the 'New Inn with Malt-house and Stable and two acres of pasture lett at 9.0.0.' in the estate of Samuel Hendy in 1733.

Under the name of the Old Inn it was conveyed in 1755 by Peter Drewett to John Evill and was still called the Old Inn in 1778 but by 1832 it had again become the New Inn and it was still owned by the Evill family in 1839.

The building became the village Post Office in 1994 and now also houses the Community Shop.

Source: Bathford Past and Present
© Bathford Society 2007 | Sources | Copyright | Privacy Policy | Site Layout | Technical | Contact Us