Picture: Crown Inn with local charabanc outing (1920's)
The Crown Inn was a traditional seventeenth century building until it was re-fronted early in the twentieth century. It is the only surviving Inn in the village.
When the road from Bath to London was turn-piked in the early 1700's the Turnpike Trust held its meetings here.
The Crown was purchased by Robert Yeeles of Bathford from Charles Kelson of Bath in 1806 and sold by Robert Yeeles's trustees in 1812. It was again the property of a member of the Yeeles family when John Wedgwood Yeeles bought it at auction for £710 in 1868. It was then described as the Crown Inn with stables, coach-houses, yard and garden ground which garden ground was formerly part of a close called Home Close belonging to the vicar of Bathford.
In 1880 Walter Lavington became the landlord of the Crown Inn, succeeded two years later by Frederick Lavington; a family association continued until 1932. Meanwhile Spencer's Brewery of Bradford-on-Avon had acquired the Crown in 1889. Until 1904 the Crown had a mansard roof and dormers and was then substantially rebuilt almost to its present form. It has been the property of Ushers Brewery since 1914.